Green Heart of Peoria
* Improve and Enhance our Environment
* Live Close to Downtown and the River
* Conserve Our Neighborhoods
* Encourage Sustainable Development
* Save Time and Energy - Walk to Work
Historic Peoria is an inherently "Green" City. Peoria was originally built at high density. Trips to work, shopping, and schools were made by walking or a short streetcar ride. The historic city was energy efficient.
Modern American urban development is auto oriented, with large homes on large lots distant from destinations. Modern suburban development is built at low density. Long auto trips waste a great deal of time and energy.
Our historic “Heart of Peoria has "hollowed out". Most retail has left downtown, and a great deal of near in housing has been demolished. Historic older buildings are often underutilized.
The following are potential improvements to "Green" the Heart of Peoria:
· Energy efficiency in all buildings is encouraged
· Developers are encouraged to create green housing
· Mixed use development will be emphasized
· Historic buildings will be adaptively reused
· Walk ability of the city will be encouraged
· Incentives will be employed to support improvements
· Energy efficient buildings will be required
· Sedimentation & erosion controls will be enforced
· The environment of the River's edge will be enhanced
· Bike trails & racks will be emphasized
· Transit will be maintained
· Trees and natural landscaping will be planted
· Renewable energy sources will be sought
· Recycling will be supported
· Air and water quality will be improved
More info at:
All the documents on this Blog are early drafts, and have not been adopted by City Council. Staff are presenting the concept plans to citizen groups. A Public Hearing will held in front of the Planning Commission to ensure that all people get a chance to understand and comment on the proposed plans. Send an email to Craighullinger@gmail.com with any questions or comments.